PDA

View Full Version : emailing forn the UK

17-03-2002, 08:56 AM
Hi,
A friend of mine is to visit the Uk and wants to take a laptop for emailing. She has an Xtra count but will this work? Does she need to get an account with a UK server to avoid big phone costs? Can anyone advise.
Thanks,
Tim Maclaren

17-03-2002, 09:48 AM
Yes she will need to join a local UK ISP.

It would probably pay for them to get a free email account like Yahoo.com which you can use outlook express to receive your messages(POP3) unlike most others.

Will the xtra account work when they close the ISP option? For how long?

17-03-2002, 09:54 AM
Strongly suggest she sets up a hotmail account and uses internet cafes to check. Forward email locally to that address.

Unless laptop needs to be there for other reasons, leave it behind.

It might be that Xtra have an arrangement with an ISP in UK, might be worth checking with them, if you really have to do it that way.

robo.

17-03-2002, 10:16 AM
It is possible to access Xtra mail accounts through <http://www.xtramail.co.nz/> she will still need access to the internet to use this though. Either through an internet cafe or getting her own account in the UK.

JM

17-03-2002, 10:30 AM
If she wants to check her emails from the UK or anywhere else, just visit one of the many intershop shops or cafes and log straight into xtra and check her xtra mail account that way, it is the same basic principal as used by hotmail and others. I do the same for checking my NZ mail account from where I am in Asia.

17-03-2002, 08:58 PM
I dont think the modem in your friends laptop would work in the UK.
She is better off setting up a free account in hotmail before she leaves NZ, and checks her email in the UK through a internet cafe,library etc.

18-03-2002, 11:23 AM
Alan

I recently returned from the UK, bringing two desktop machines and two laptops. The modems in all four machines work perfectly here (and the one I brought through the US worked perfectly there) so I assume that any modem that works in NZ will work in the UK. With laptops especially, modems *need* to work 'anywhere'. Of course I realise that we all need to be careful making assumptions about this sort of thing.

Comments, anyone?

Cheers,
Nick