PDA

View Full Version : Outlook 2000/2002 help from NZ MS

17-03-2002, 02:45 AM
In March NZ PCWorld (Pg 102) Rob tells Jason about a workaround to save .exe attachments from emails under Outlook 2000/2002 by tranfering thru to Outlook Express etc in order to beat the built-in blocking.

I called the MS helpdesk in Akl (0800 800 004) to ask about this & if there were any other such backward features in Outlook 2002 (b4 I upgrade!). .. to which they said that, apart from the answer to the question being NO ;-)), if anyone wants to save .exe attachments directly from within Outlook 2002 they should phone the MS Helpdesk & be talked thru how to change some hidden settings in order to remove the block ~ which I s'pose are a small part of the response to security flaming.

Cheers, Broo C em

18-03-2002, 12:49 AM
I have this problem aswell. We found the best workaround was to get the person sending the file to you to rename it as a .zip extension. Then all you need to do at your end is rename it back. It's a pain, but it also means you don't get affected by any viruses sent to you in that way.

18-03-2002, 08:56 AM
Chris, I no expert but I dont think that renaming scheme is gonna stop many virae ~ if something is infected & you then open it after changing the renaming etc, the virus is still gonna be active ~ either ya have an updated enabled A/V sustem installed or ya dont.
The info from MS Help in Akl is to save you having to move legitimate files into Outlook Express for opening ~ virus content or detection is a different issue.
CIAO, CBM

18-03-2002, 05:55 PM
That's not security. That's a blunder.

I decent software the 'features are not hidden and the software doesn't decide for you what's safe and what's not.

What ever happened to warning boxes and options in plain view.

I think I'll skip the move to 'customers are idiots' 2002

18-03-2002, 06:47 PM
I agree with ya completeky Gerard ~ I'm not trying to justify the situation myself, just letting folks know that they can contact MS/Akl for a quicker fix than the one in the mag.

Otherwise, yer quite right, its like 'idiot proof' cameras which folks will always find ways to take bad snaps with but it gets increasingly good for real photographers to enjoy using the things!
Unfortunately we seem to be stuck in 'convoy technology', which is designed to move at the speed of the slowest ships! ;-))

20-03-2002, 07:24 PM
Go and find Tweak-XP and you can make the changes via this if you are using Windows XP.
Otherwise the change is quite simple and can be done via a reg file that can be double clicked to enter the data. No problems and can be found on the net as well but cant remember the file name.

20-03-2002, 08:57 PM
Yo Bigjohn ~ it so happens I wuz just now given a link to where the fix can be found, at http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm

Also of interest is that today I called MS back in Akl & asked for the fix ~ but suddenly it is now classed as a 'how to' job & subject to a $35 fee! How about THAT ~ they put something in that ya dont want, & then wanna charge ya for how to get trid of it .. . no bloody wonder there is ill-feeling agin MS!

Cheers
CBM

20-03-2002, 10:01 PM
This is an extract from a microsoft document.
How to Customize Attachment Security Behavior
You can modify the attachment security behavior in Outlook 2002 if you are using Outlook in one of the following scenarios:
? Outlook is run outside of an Exchange Server environment.
? In an Exchange Server environment, the administrator has not configured the Outlook Security settings to disallow changes to the attachment security behavior.
In these scenarios, modify the attachment security behavior by making a modification to the registry. Use the following steps to modify the registry.

WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the 'Changing Keys and Values' Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the 'Add and Delete Information in the Registry' and 'Edit Registry Data' Help topics in Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it. If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).
1. Exit Outlook 2002, if running.
2. Click the Windows Start button, and then click Run.
3. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
4. Check to see if the following key exists. If it does, skip to step 5.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\O utlook\Security
If the key path does not exist, create the key path. To create the key path, navigate to and select the key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft
a. Click the Edit menu, click New, and then click Key.
b. Type Office and press ENTER.
c. Click the Edit menu, click New, and then click Key.
d. Type 10.0 and press ENTER.
e. Click the Edit menu, click New, and then click Key.
f. Type Outlook and press ENTER.
g. Click the Edit menu, click New, and then click Key.
h. Type Security and press ENTER.

5. Click the Edit menu, click New, and then click String Value.
6. Type the following name for the new value:

Level1Remove
7. Press ENTER.
8. Right-click the new string value name, and then click Modify.
9. Type the extension of the file type that you would like to access with Outlook 2002 as follows:

exe

To specify multiple file types, use the following format:

.exe;.com
10. When finished, click OK.
11. Exit the Registry Editor program.
12. Restart the computer.
When you start Outlook 2002, the file types specified in the Windows Registry are accessible.

NOTE: Microsoft recommends that only the necessary file types be enabled for access. If a particular file type is received rarely, it is recommended that Outlook 2002 be given temporary access to the file type in question and then reconfigured to the blocked state by undoing the changes made to the Windows Registry.
Microsoft Exchange Server Environment
If you run Outlook in an Exchange Server environment, your administrator can change the default attachment security behavior. For more information about how to configure Outlook 2002 in this environment, please see the Knowledge Base article:
Q290499 OL2002: Administrator Info About E-Mail Security Features