PDA

View Full Version : Re-load Windows 98 Second Edition

14-03-2002, 04:06 PM
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am in need of some serious help. I have machine with a formatted hard drive into which I would like to load with the above software.
I have my own registered C.D.
and a floppy with all the necessary files on but, my problem is that these files need to loaded in using DOS.
Not being too familiar with DOS, can you please give me a step by step process to do this operation.
I would appreciate any help to get me up and running.

Yours,
Frustrated amateur P.C.user.

14-03-2002, 04:31 PM
Probably:
Insert the floppy disk. Turn the computer on. It should 'talk' a bit, then either start a menu system which will give you the option of loading Windows (which option accept), or give you a DOS prompt 'A:>'. If you get the prompt, type 'D:', which should change the prompt to 'D:.', then 'setup'. You will have inserted the CD when the 'starting ' message came on the screen.

If that doesn't work, tell us know what happened.

14-03-2002, 04:38 PM
Well theres no sir or madam around here but I give it a shot.

Hopefully your Floppy has CD ROM support?
http://www.compguystechweb.com/troubleshooting/fdisk/bootdisk.html

Put in your floppy and turn on the machine, it should load all drivers required, then type e: that should show you a 'e:' prompt then type setup and follow the win98 instructions.
Thats it.

Why it might not work:
If you put in the floppy and it says no system disk found or similar, you might need to get into BIOS(when machine starts, it might say press ...to enter setup, del or F1 or something) then you would need to change the 'boot sequence' or similar setting to A: then C:

Hope that helps, post back with any problems.