PDA

View Full Version : internet connection/disconnection

13-03-2002, 11:28 PM
can somebody tell me why my internet connection want's to dissconect 5 minutes after i connect to it it's driving crazy.
And also when i switch users i have to connect again,i desperately need help

14-03-2002, 12:46 PM
Hello Jaye,

You haven't given us much to go on here but the two most common reasons for disconnections are:-

1. Outlook express has been told to 'disconnect after send and receive' so when it loads it checks for mail and even if there is none it then disconnects. It may do this on initial load and/or at regular time intervals. It will also do it if you change email identities. You can turn this bit off in tools/options ??

2. The other common reason is poor line quality. Every block of data coming and going has a block check character which is re calculated when the block is received and if it is wrong the block is rejected as an error. If 10 consecutive blocks are rejected as errors the line will be disconnected.

Let us know if this helps at all, PC.

14-03-2002, 07:15 PM
Hi. A lot more info would be very useful. However here's another thing to check assuming you're running Windows 9.x - go Start, Settings, Control Panel, Internet Options, Connections, highlight your ISp connection in the Dial Up Connections box, then click Settings, then Advanced. Make sure there is no check in the Disconnect if ... boxes