PDA

View Full Version : bios

10-03-2002, 07:11 PM
My pc when it boots up says phoenix bios or something similar.
I have a conflict trying to install win95 it gets halfway through and then says unable to decompress cab22' and quits the install. Im picking its a bios prob. can I get a freebie dos download??
it goes so far down the track and then I get this unable to carry on message. can anyone help. How can I wipe my ram? maybe thats the prob

10-03-2002, 08:30 PM
Sounds to me like the system is unable to read the CD-ROM file? Presumably you are installing off a CD?

10-03-2002, 08:58 PM
You could copy the Win95 folder to your HDD, then run setup from there. Requires a few dos comands though.

10-03-2002, 10:31 PM
Were you trying a clean install? FDISK then format then install?

11-03-2002, 12:39 AM
I agree with John D. - it sounds as though your 'cab22' is corrupt. If you have access to Norton Utilities you could try checking your CD with Disk Doctor - that may tell you if there is a problem with the disc or file but presumably wouldn't be able to repair it. If a clean install is not a feasible option try another Win 95 CD if possible, or else get a copy of the cab and put it on your HDD. If I remember correctly, Win 95 Setup gives you the opportunity to enter the path for a file it cannot find so you could redirect it to the HDD location. However this may not work if it is finding a corrupt file even though it cannot use it.

But 'cab22' for Win 95 seems odd! The floppy disc versions of Win 95 have around 14 - 15 cab files, though maybe CD versions have more.

11-03-2002, 04:27 PM
A quick test of the cd is, in DOS, 'copy /b d:\win95*.* NUL:' . That will copy all the files to 'nowwhere'. It will complain about unreadable files.