PDA

View Full Version : DirectSound Error

10-03-2002, 01:24 PM
When I try to run ThemeHospital it comes up with the message 'Close MidiApp to run DSound...' . What am I to do? I have tried closing everything, just leaving the thing that keeps my monitor ticking. I am running Win 98 (2nd edition) and my DirectX version is 8.1

10-03-2002, 10:48 PM
Hi Ian

Try this:

In windows explorer go to program files\drectx\setup\ & and double click on DxDiag (your path may be slightly different) to test/diagnose your sound. No need to do the display tests, etc, just those relating to audio/sound & possibly input, unless of course you want to while your there.

You may then need to upgrade to the latest audio drivers for your mother board/chipset or sound card depending on your hardware configuration.
Not a bad idea anyway if your having problems. Also check the program (I presume its a game) site for patches & tips/faqs.

BTW what mother board & audio are you running? Some board/chipset audio drivers conflict with later versions of DirectX.

HTH

Murray

10-03-2002, 11:03 PM
Hi again

Just re read your post.

Have you tried ctrl + alt + del to see what is running that may be conflicting with ddsound. May be a mixer or something that you can disable and revert to standard windows version.

Also have a look at msconfig, go: start/run and type 'msconfig' sans quotes. Hit the th start up tab and look for anything that looks like mixer, midi, audio.
Uncheck the tick box of the most suspicious one and reboot. Try your program to test. Repeat with a different start up item disabled (or combinations of) untill you (hopefully) find the culprit.

May take some time, good luck.

Cheers

Murray