PDA

View Full Version : problem with MS Word 97

10-03-2002, 08:46 AM
I have a problem in Word 97 where for example if I were to open a new document and type in 3 lines of text and then I go to print what I have just typed, the first line appears about 3 cm down from the top of the page, the 2nd line appears approximately halfway down the page and the third line, about 3cm up from the bottom of the page.
What have I done and how can I put things back to normal so to speak?

Regard

Paul

10-03-2002, 08:53 AM
If it doesn't appear in word looking like that, then it is probably a printer setting, or the printer driver needs reinstalling.

10-03-2002, 09:09 AM
Paul,

These things can be infuriating, but there's usually an answer. Do you have non-printing characters switched on - that?s the ?paragraph? sign on the button bar. The paragraph sign contains all the formatting for the paragraph and if you inadvertently delete this - because you can?t see it - the formatting will go haywire. I leave the NP characters on all the time.
Then right click in the document and open the paragraph dialogue. Check the spacing before and after paragraphs. I set 6 points for paragraphs. Also check line spacing in the same dialogue.
If these are all OK, you may want to check the ? style? attached to the document or template you are using. Go to Format/style/format/modify - if necessary. Styles are based on normal.dot, so if all else fails take a look at the settings there too.
In page setup/layout, check that ?vertical alignment? is set to ?Top?
Can?t think of any other reason for your problem right now, but will think about it. Hope I?m not trying to teach you to suck eggs?!
Let me know how you go.