PDA

View Full Version : Backups

08-03-2002, 06:39 PM
Does Norton's Ghost prog have any advantages over Nero's System Restore?

09-03-2002, 08:46 AM
Ghost probably has the advantage, in that, if you ghost to a second hard drive, you can always put that drive in as a slave, and recover one only file, if needed.

This can't be done with Nero's system restore, it's all or nothing.

Also with Ghost, it is probably quicker, as you wouldn't have to sit there popping in fresh cd's to burn to, depending on the amount you are copying off course. You can just walk away and leave it running. 9GB for me takes about 1hr&20mins. with Ghost. ATA 66, with both drives on the same cable.

I'm not sure with Nero's if you can transfer the backup to another HDD, if your existing one, should go belly up. Perhaps someone else can answer this.

All said and done, any backup is better than none.

My son did point out to me the other day, that the only times our computers crash, is when we are using programs that are supposed to stop crashes.

09-03-2002, 09:49 AM
Thanks K O for the info. I use Nero allready, but am unsure - like you - if this backup would transfer to another HD. In my case the existing drive is partitioned, so C is only 2.4gb and fits on 4 Cd's. The few times that I have restored from these, it has worked fine. Also use Goback so main use would be for HD failure.
Bye