PDA

View Full Version : Mac. conversion?

08-03-2002, 08:48 AM
My daughters' school use Mac computers, we have IBM therefore we can't view her work. Is there a download program to enable conversion?

08-03-2002, 09:32 AM
Not sure what you are wanting to convert.

A Mac will normally write to a formatted PC floppy and then you can read it on the PC by renaming the file to be a doc or xls. Give her a disk to take to school.

Then you have application compatibility as well, if she is using word or excel she should be fine (assuming version format changes don't wreck things for you).

Regards
robo

PS and people wonder why I don't think schools should use Macs. God forbid if you had a computer compatible with 90% of the ones the kids have at home.

08-03-2002, 09:51 AM
Robo,

The reason schools use Macs is for a couple of reasons.

1. When schools started really getting into computers Apple noticed and get their computers into the classroom. Clever thinking, as they're still there.

2. Apple offer great support to schools for their computers and the software. They seem to be mainly targetting schools as their number 1 customers.

08-03-2002, 09:52 AM
She brings her disk home (they use word) but when we run it display is unlegible. What, if anything, can we do to translate it?

Macs at school are a pain in the #@%!!!!! Don't they realise that 90% of the business world uses IBM!

08-03-2002, 09:55 AM
Wonder ing,

I forgot to add...

What programs is your daughter using at school? If she's using the same programs as you've got at home, then you should be able to read them, whether they're on a PC disk or a Mac disk (I've found it makes no difference what disk it's put on).

But if its not the same programs, then you'll have about as much luck as trying to get two different PC programs to open the same files.

08-03-2002, 12:07 PM
If it is text documents try saving the file as a 'rich text format' (.rtf) instead of as a .doc.

Can be read by a wider range of programs and across platforms.

08-03-2002, 04:53 PM
I think that you might have to save on the Mac using the PC Exchange programme.

If the file has been saved from inside a Mac programme, it will probably be saved in the Mac way (with two forks), even if it has been saved on a PC format disk. It's a bit tricky; there are work-arounds, but a PC knows *nothing* about a 'resource fork'.

The RTF format might be a good idea for word processor files.

08-03-2002, 09:09 PM
i didnt thhink macs came with floppy drives any more