PDA

View Full Version : SCSI Ultrawide - any gurus with a solution?

08-03-2002, 02:56 AM
I have a system that is currently running a 9.1Gb SCSI ultrawide H/D off a Tekram U/W controller. No problems. The other day I decided to add a second 9.1Gb H/D to the system. When I went to partition this second drive using fdisk, it kept coming up and telling me that I had two drives, one with 99 Mb on it and the other with 8674Mb (the correct one).
So I tried partitioning with Tfdisk, which is the utility that comes with the controller card. No sign of the second 'phantom' drive. But when I went into windows, explorer showed this phantom drive again (as drive 'D'.)

If I click on it, an error box comes up to say that the drive is not accessible, and if I right click on it and look at the properties, it shows it as being 8674Mb - the same size as the 'correct' drive ( 'E' ).

Drive E has been formatted and works fine otherwise, it's just that this phantom drive is a nuisance and it bugs me. When I went to partition the disk, I have only ever told it to create one drive using the maximum space available.

Under the drive are jumper pins for various functions, and I am wondering if I have them set incorrectly.

It has:

1 - ID bit 3
2 - ID bit 2
3 - ID bit 1
4 - ID bit 0
5 - Disable auto spin
6 - S/E mode
7 - Disable unit attention
8 - TI Sync Nego
9 - Auto start delay
10 - Delay start 6/12
11 - Disable parity
12 - Led out

At the moment I have jumpers on 1 and 6.
I have tried various configurations of jumpers and then repartitioning but to no avail, and it is tiring work, swapping a jumper then going through the whole process of repartitioning.

This drive is not the last item in the chain so I don't think it is a termination problem.

Drive is a D4911A, by HP.

(interestingly enough, the main H/D has the same part number but is slightly different in design and jumpers).

08-03-2002, 02:59 PM
This feels like something I would normally sit down and play with. I am not sure that it has anything to do with SCSI side of things, they normally either go or don't go. Seems like it is an OS problem.

The 96Mb could be a system partition (compaq do that a lot, don't know about HP) or something weird like that. You could just change the drive letter to Z: or Q: to get it out of the way.

Whatever you do be careful, and remember that what the operating system sees it what you are going to get.

robo.

08-03-2002, 03:55 PM
I agree with robo -- unlikely to be a SCSI 'problem'. It is too big to be a BIOS setup partition (I hope), but might be a System Restore partition. Check the manuals and see what HP say about restoring the OS. They tend to have various 'improvements' to Windows, don't they?

I love people who give yoy the means to restore your OS, if the hard drive fails, by putting the required files on the hard drive.

08-03-2002, 08:02 PM
It doesn't have to be the last device in the chain to suffer from termination problems. It doesn't sound like a termination problem, but hey, sounds like you've checked everything else!

09-03-2002, 04:01 PM
Termination problems are electrical problems. They cause data transfer problems. Data errors occur. Timeouts occur. These are reported by the software.

I think the probability of data transmission errors 'creating' a valid partition table with an extra partition is *fairly* small.

There is a *simple* software answer. Simple problems are not always simple to find ...