PDA

View Full Version : Explorer and dubious homepages

07-03-2002, 06:40 PM
Hi people

Two different machines, related problems:

PC 1.
The first time IE4 runs (upgrade is not an option), after the machine is turned on, it goes to a home page that isn't the proper home page. If you press HOME any time later in the session, or after restarting IE without restarting the machine, it goes to the correct home page.
It shows the proper homepage when you look in the settings.

PC2.
IE seems to change the dial up settings, proxy server settings, and home page has been changed, on a regular basis. In this case, you can see it has changed, and you can change it back. Sounds like that hassle with NAV to me but he swears NAV was on there for ages before this started.

Ideas, people?

robo

07-03-2002, 07:02 PM
PC1: Windows tries to remember what it was doing when it was shut down. If you do Start/shutdown with IE running (even minimised), won't it remember the page it had? And get it when you start up?

PC2: Magic? The sort that people were burned for allegedly performing.

07-03-2002, 07:03 PM
'It's all about sucking air'...AHAHA!!

That was the best!

Anyway, have a go at removing IE, and NAV too, just to be sure... Alternatively, set the homepage to something else, then change it back and see what happens.

Hope that helps

:)

All about sucking air...lol

Erin

07-03-2002, 07:29 PM
I'd be interested in the answer to PC1 too, but for a large scale network.

As for a number of PC's when Explorer's started it defaults to the 'Microsoft network' main page, it's just a case of tapping home and you get to the main hompage, so it's not a huge prob.

Cheers,

Daniel

08-03-2002, 12:42 AM
It sounds like M$ has stuck in a bit of 'Up with us!' code into their source...

Maybe someone has put out a patch to work around it...ask tweak'e.

Erin

08-03-2002, 10:35 AM
PC1: Check that the shortcut you use to invoke IE does not have a parameter attached.
eg Right click on the link you use to start IE and select Properties (you may have to use the Win Explorer view to get this). Then look at the Shortcut tab. Look at the Target filed and see if it has a parameter after the progam name. This parameter overrides the Home setting if present.
I have a two alternative IE startup buttons on my Office start up bar with different destinations one being a blank page startup so I dont have to wait for a slow home page to start before I go where I realy want to visit.

PC2: noideas :-(

jt