PDA

View Full Version : 'Choke.exe' Virus and unable to Scan Disk

07-03-2002, 06:18 PM
I'm a middle-aged mother of a teenaged-daughter....and as if that is not enough to give me trouble I now find that the 'Choke.exe' virus has been downloaded by said daughter's activity on MSN Messenger! MSN is now deleted from PC, but I can't rid virus. Also, after deleting MSN (and 6 viruses seemingly connected with Choke.exe) I wanted to do Scan Disk and Defrag. But message advises that Windows or other programme is running and scan cannot continue. I closed off screen-saver, and anything else that I could detect was running in background. By the way, doing Defrag first I was advised to carry out Scan Disk due to disc damage.

So, is Choke.exe choking my PC or is there something else stopping the Scan Disk and Defrag procedures. Also, how the heck can I delete Choke.exe - after right-clicking I get message that says I can't delete as it's in use with Windows!!! P.S. My computer is one year old and runs on Windows ME version 4.90.3000 Thank you from a very stressed out mother of teenage daughter!

07-03-2002, 07:15 PM
what anti virus were you using may have to do a complete reformat if its too severe ,NB 98 sec edition is much better than ME tennisplayer43@hotmail.com if you need any more advice

07-03-2002, 07:34 PM
<http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.choke.worm.html>

The above link will give you all the blurb on the choke virus and removal instructions.

If all else fails you could consider a reformat, make sure you format the boot sector as well. Nothing wrong with WinME but it does like a clean install rather than a upgrade or reinstall.

08-03-2002, 09:21 AM
Thanks Gordon for your advice. I did finally manage to erase choke.exe by going via regedit. I will now have a go at running Scan Disk and then Defrag.