PDA

View Full Version : An odd problem with xp

07-03-2002, 02:59 PM
I upgrade from Win 2000 to XP pro. But every now and then (maybe twice a day) the system would slow down to nothing for no reason. Found in Task Manager that the 'System' task is using between 88-95% of the CPU. Everything else would work but really slowly. So did a build up from the ground thinking it was the upgrade. No luck still does it. Tried doing the Mircosoft updates. Loaded them all on, still no good. The problem doesn't seem to happen if I start anything or if I have certain things running, it just seems to do it and stays locked like that till I restart it. Can anyone help?

07-03-2002, 05:44 PM
I had a similar problem when I first installed WinXP. Some progs would take ages to even initiate (e.g. even selecting the internet dialer would take a few mins to kick in).

I'm not too sure what it is but I suspect it's got something to do with the OS's cache.

As programs I don't normally use, take longer to run than those I use a lot to start up. How to change this I do not know. But I hope it puts you in the right direction, be it even a small step.

Cheers,

Daniel