PDA

View Full Version : The Recovery Plan..a must have......

07-03-2002, 10:02 AM
So who actually has a recovery plan.....so many postings regarding dieing HDD's, computers etc.

The fact is HDD's die, and sometimes with no warning at all...sometimes its just a case of windows dieing (it wouldn't do that I hear you all say!!).

You must have a back up plan....

At all times I now have a Ghost of my HDD sitting there on a storage drive with my OS install and essential software....and then twice a day Quicksync copies my Massey work, favorites, address book and e-mails to the back-up......

Now should it all go bad (and it has from time to time!!) the most data I will loose is 12 hours....+ maybe an hour to initiate the ghost image.

Even if your budget is tight, invest in a small HDD. Create a shortcut to it in your send to folder and get in the habbit of right clicking on essential files once a day and sending them to your spare drive.

It is amazing how often people on here are in a panic trying to recover lost work. When they could simply sit back and go 'Thats cool, I have a copy on my spare drive :-)'.

The worst cases I have seen are guy's at UNI who aren't backing up!!! at any 1 time during a semester I can have up to 5 assignments on the go, these include database work, programming, 2000+ word reports and web-sites. If I were to loose these it would be simply devastating.

So remember BACK-UP....even if its just a pack of floppy's.

07-03-2002, 02:07 PM
You're really quite right Tazzie, there's no knowing when the dreaded lurgi can strike, or even lightning.
I like the idea of a removeable hard drive caddie, just a bit more trouble if you are backing up files several times a day, but probably safer.
Good backup is just as important as having an antivirus program and firewall.
I also have a backup BIOS chip installed just in case something gobbles up the working BIOS.
The stuff on my computer is mainly just for play, not real serious work like yours, but still, important to me, some of it about 8 years old, and I would hate to lose it all.

07-03-2002, 02:55 PM
I'm in total agreement with you there Tazzie.

My friends and me usually have a LAN every weekend to try out new games and swap files we?ve collected. But you?ll be amazed at how many times at least one of our machines has a problem and needs to have drivers reinstalled or even be reformatted.

After I found out about ghost a couple of years ago, I regularly make a back-up of my machine to a smaller 4.3g hd that I use for storage and then burn them to CD. So if I have a problem, I'm back, up and running in less then 10mins. This, of course, saves me from the most boring job you can ever do. Re-installing Windows!

I try to convince my friends to use ghost to make a basic backup of their OS (drivers, directx, utilities installed first) before they add applications and junk, but they never do.

07-03-2002, 02:56 PM
I'm in total agreement with you there Tazzie.

My friends and me usually have a LAN every weekend to try out new games and swap files we've collected. But you?ll be amazed at how many times at least one of our machines has a problem and needs to have drivers reinstalled or even be reformatted.

After I found out about ghost a couple of years ago, I regularly make a back-up of my machine to a smaller 4.3g hd that I use for storage and then burn them to CD. So if I have a problem, I'm back, up and running in less then 10mins. This, of course, saves me from the most boring job you can ever do. Re-installing Windows!

I try to convince my friends to use ghost to make a basic backup of their OS (drivers, directx, utilities installed first) before they add applications and junk, but they never do.

07-03-2002, 03:43 PM
Add to your definitions file:

'Backup: something done every night for one week after a disk crash'.

07-03-2002, 05:42 PM
Add to your definitions file:

'Recovery Plan: something done after your software has died a blue screen death!!!'

Sorry for the earlier repeat.

07-03-2002, 07:54 PM
I find that a good way is to back up documents to a Zip disk (if you have one) quite frequentlt. On a monthly basis back up downloads, documents, etc to a CDRW (if you have one).

JM

07-03-2002, 09:51 PM
Well, we all should do it more often.

I have two hard drives, I throw my data from one to the other now and again (about once in a when-I-get-around-to-it).

If I was running NT, I would schedule a bat file to do it every night. I'm not.

Anyone got a good easy plan?

robo