PDA

View Full Version : Backing up

06-03-2002, 06:54 PM
I fear that my computer may be heading for a crash in the near future and i want to restore myself as quickly as possible to normal (something that frustrated me last time)

I want to know what I would need to back up, if I zipped the program files and put them on a few cds would that retore all my programs? or would I need to back up some other files. I would also like to back up the internet connections for my ultra conection?

06-03-2002, 08:49 PM
I don't think backing up the program files would work.

I think you can save your internet connections, by making a copy of your 'dialup networking connections' just a click and drag copy will do it. Though I have never tried this.

You still need your email, address's, favourites, etc. And you then don't have all of your upgrades that you have downloaded.

The ultimate backup, that I now use, is to ghost your whole HDD, onto another HDD. Then when you have a major crash, or stuff up, you can just put the other drive in as a master, and away she goes.

With the price of HDD's today, this way is cheap insurance. Mind you it is only as up to date, as the last time you made the ghost image. Still beats the hrs, even days of work reinstalling everything.

06-03-2002, 08:56 PM
Just read your other post.

You really only want the ghost image, if everything is fine, otherwise you'll just be copying whatever is causing the problem.

06-03-2002, 10:46 PM
Why would you put the ghosted drive in as a master KO? Surely the purpose of ghosting is to store a compressed image of your good install that you can dump back onto your C drive, not to maintain two full O/S & program disks?

I can dump a ghost image back to my C drive in not much more time than it takes to have a coffee and a quick browse through PC World.

On top of that, I still retain the clean ghost image to use again another day.

Perhaps that's what you were meaning?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)