PDA

View Full Version : problems re-installing windows 95 (original version)

06-03-2002, 03:28 PM
My hard disk having developed bad sectors, necessitated me having to reinstall windows 95. The process was mostly sucessful however several files (mainly .dll) were apparently not able to be found on the install cd. Consequently several applications will now not work (ie internet explorer). Can you suggest any reasons/solutions to this problem.

06-03-2002, 04:55 PM
Internet Explorer wasn't a part of the original Windows 95, so that's likely why it won't install it ;-)

Grab a copy of IE from somewhere - computer mag cd, download whatever - and you'll be all set.

07-03-2002, 09:19 PM
What Brent P said about IE applies to other apps as well - some add their own .dll files during their setup so they are to be found on their setup discs, not in Windows. Some progs at least will fail their start up with a 'Can't start because can't find x.dll' type message. Note the name of the missing file and extract it from the appropriate setup disc. If it happens to be on one of 28 floppies there is a command for viewing the contents of .cab files - I think it is extract /v.