PDA

View Full Version : Uberclocking (overclocking) chronicles, do's & don'ts..

06-03-2002, 01:54 PM
Thanks for your help guys on the overclocking (I love that word Uberclocking).

Thought I'd give an old P200MMX a burl (as I didn't want to fry my P3 =P). After checking out those links provided...the egg cooking on the CPU was the bomb! (ref previous clocking/uberclocking topics), I got a pretty good idea on how to get it running.

Anyway the P200MMX actually underclocked to 166mhz. After adjusting a few Jumper settings I managed to clock to 240mhz...yay!

I got the taste for overclocking, and I knew I could crank more out of the P200mmx, as explained below...

1:45am: Dan clocks the P200 to 240 (and the villages rejoice).

1:46am: Dan clocks back to 210, and decides to clock to 250 (Sure I can add that extra 10mhz)

2:15am: Dan fries chip when trying to exceed 240 (but had fun doing so =P)

Lucky for me I can pick up another cheap chip this sunday at our local computer swap meet.

Thanx for your help guys.

Also anyone running an Iwill VA133 motherboard (or VA133 plus), I'm interested in seeing how far I can clock a P3 733 coppermine chip on it. I've seen it exceed 1gig, but I don't know the settings.

Cheers,

Daniel

06-03-2002, 07:02 PM
Just remember your experiences with the 200 when playing with the 733!!

On the sysopt pay careful attention to what the majority of people have achieved and had stable for an extended period of time. The top few O/C's in the database should be taken with a grain of salt as the database runs on a pure honesty system.

06-03-2002, 07:30 PM
Pah!

Crank it up! Just keep an eye on the temperature... My Athlon 1333mhz is now running fine at 1705 (155x11), V-Core at 1.85v, and a temperature of 68 degrees C at max temp. It does, however, have 7 fans keeping it under control!

:)

Erin

06-03-2002, 07:52 PM
Thanks, that's exactly why I played around with the 200 rather than the 733.

The sysopt site was pretty good too and gave me a few hints and tips.

So thanks for that site.

The good thing about the 733 is it's on a Iwill VA133 motherboard, which comes with a Iwill's Bioss S.M.A.R.T setting to tweak some cpu settings.

From the reviews I've read on this model (and it's family models) this boards an early clockers dream, I'll be checking out the manual anyway and playing this one carefully.

But the 200 was just a throw away socket 7 chip on some old board, but I got my first taste of 'Uberclocking' now and can't wait to see my 733 cranking. Not to mention I've got a Celleron 600 to look into too.

But when it comes to my PIII 733, I'd rather do my homework first before I attempt to tweak it.

Thanks for your help.

06-03-2002, 08:02 PM
Thank, that's just what I plan on doing...'Crank'n it!'

Once I've got the jumper settings all figured out on my Iwill board I'll be looking into cooling.

I've got a heap of old fans lying about from previous PC's, but I think I want something with a mother of a heat sink.

07-03-2002, 01:44 AM
Daniel,

if you wanna talk uberclocking, take a look at this:

<http://www.muropaketti.com/artikkelit/cpu/northwood2200/ln2/index.phtml>

these guys really are the Uberclockers!

Mike.

07-03-2002, 08:45 AM
Am I being thick, or am I just a staid fossil? Surely it's better and cheaper just to buy a new motherboard and faster cpu than fart around with all this uberkloken?
Of course, if you lot have all that money to throw around, and live dangerously, that's your affair, who am I to criticise really?

07-03-2002, 09:08 AM
Terry, it is the new age version of mag wheels, extractors, and turbo units.

I believe that some contributors here are deserving of the title :

uberclockenmeister

(actual translation is

|ber Taktgebermeister )

(the italian is too wordy (typical of italian) :
sopra il supervisore dell' orologio )

Spanish is conclumdo amo del reloj

the alternative is Abk|hlenexperte

(German for refrigeration expert)

I am tempted to have a crack with a mostly knackered machine I have. Actually, think I can get my hands on a P166 Compaq Server with RAID array. That could be really fun.

robo.

07-03-2002, 12:23 PM
It's the 'Fast & the Furious' uberclockage style! =)