PDA

View Full Version : Small Business accounting software.

06-03-2002, 11:55 AM
One for Robo.

Can I have advice on a suitable accounting package for a small business. Will need such things as GST reporting, Cheque book type facilities, Inwards/outwards goods, Monthly balance reporting etc., and maybe to Trial Balance stage.

Don't want anything too expensive.

Anyone got suggestions?

Bryan.

06-03-2002, 05:50 PM
try quiken 7. it came with my pc as i dont run a buisness i never installed it ,u might be able to get a trial version on the web to look at

06-03-2002, 09:20 PM
Quicken or MYOB both do a pretty good job. Easy to use (I find them a little weird but used to a bit more grunt).

They work, reliable, a heaps of people know how to use them.

Not sure which is cheapest. I think Quicken maybe does a bit more than MYOB.

You got an accountant? What do they work easiest with (read cheapest).

Any specific questions?
robo.

06-03-2002, 09:37 PM
Hi Bryan,

Quicken has been suggested, but I'd rather suggest Quickbooks rather than Quicken. It's made by the same people www.innuit.com.au but Quickbooks is more geared at small businesses, whereas Quicken is more targetted at home users.

Quickbooks has a New Zealand version, so it'll incorporate all the GST functions etc. into whatever you're doing, and all the NZ tax procedures as well I think. It also will produce all the financial statements and reports that you might need, whereas Quicken (which I use for my personal accounts) doesn't - its more just a bank records program, rather than accounting software.

I hope this makes sense to you.

Mike.

06-03-2002, 10:09 PM
This one comes up regularly, I always advise to see your accountant first. He may be set up for particular programs and be able to process your data at the push of a button, thus, hopefully, saving you accounting fees?

07-03-2002, 08:47 AM
Thank you all very much for your input. Straighten's my thinking a little and at least now I know what I should be looking at.

Thanks again.

Bryan.