PDA

View Full Version : Tapes failing

06-03-2002, 10:37 AM
I have had two tapes fail recently (just can't be read)- they are Imation Travan NS 20 Gb. At $100 a pop I was wondering if this is normal and if there is anything I can do to bring them back to life. THey are about 2 years old.

06-03-2002, 12:39 PM
Make sure that you aren't putting the tapes near any magnetic sources as this will erase the tape.

JM

06-03-2002, 01:47 PM
Try re-tensioning

06-03-2002, 05:25 PM
Unfortunately, these tapes are recorded at a ridiculius density (something like 18000 bpi). That requires perfect tape (that's why they cost so much). The tape is thin (to get lots in a small case), the oxide is thin (for response), so it doesn't take much use (or *any* abuse) to cause problems. I am sure you don't store tapes in an airconditioned room.

Mainframe 1/2' tapes used heavy tape and the maximum density used was 1600 bpi. Stored in a controlled environment, they lasted very well. Rewinding was recommended every two years to prevent print-through. NASA have millions of them, though they have been writing the contents to CDs for a while now.

So if retensioning does not help (and I don't think it will), and you can't format them --- you'd be better to put the money towards a CD writer.