PDA

View Full Version : Mysterious reboots and screen freezes.

06-03-2002, 07:54 AM
I have a problem that only occurs when I have used my modem.

When I close Outlook Express after sending/receiving e-mails one of the following occurs:
- the computer immediately reboots.
- the computer behaves normally but freezes at the 'Windows 98 is shutting down' screen.
- the comuter freezes with a totally black screen.

When I use Internet Explorer I can sometimes visit a few web sites and get out. On other occasions even just doing this will cause the entire screen to freeze. Every time I try to do something a little more energetic,like read a pdf file, it either freezes, I get the frozen black screen, or it reboots.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

06-03-2002, 08:20 AM
Try checking for a updated modem driver from the manufacturer. Have you done windows updates???

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/?IE

10-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Hi Gary, I had been having very similar problems to yours with crashes all over the place while useing IE etc.

I was advised to replace my modem, which I did and have had no problems since, but am wondering if I should have tried updating my modem drivers first, in case they had been corrupted somehow.

So am interested to know if you tried a modem update and if it worked. regards, KJ

(problems with modems seem to be able to create all sorts of havoc)

11-03-2002, 10:46 AM
Firstly to Scotty - thanks for the advice, I am endeavouring to do as you suggested.

Secondly to Ken - I haven't as yet been able to update my driver or go to microsoft updates. As you probably found also, it is difficult to upgrade software over the net when your computer throws you off unexpectedly. If I have any success I'll let you know. I certainly hope I don't have to replace my modem.

Thanks again.
Regards,
Gary.