PDA

View Full Version : Are BIOS updates free?

05-03-2002, 07:36 PM
Are the flash binary file updates for the BIOS free?

If so how do I find them?
I know my BIOS number and know exactly what my m/b is.
Award BIOS 1999

CHeers

05-03-2002, 07:43 PM
BIOS updates are free and the best place to check for a BIOS update is visit the manufacturer of motherboard's website.

05-03-2002, 07:50 PM
Be careful, easiest way is to look at the settings you have, flash BIOS, load optimised defaults, remove battery for 10 seconds, and redo some changes that you know about, when you do the optimised it reloads some of the option screens, and rids your self of old screens rather then having some of each.

05-03-2002, 08:37 PM
You could try going directly to the Award BIOS site. They used to have a page at award.com/tech/upgrade.htm but I don't know if it is still current. If not, try the .com homepage. You may need some additional information to precisely identify your BIOS chip. If you have a startup screen which displays progressive info like memory check, what sort of BIOS present etc pause the screen during that display and record the BIOS chip ID code that is usually displayed in the very bottom L hand corner of the screen. If you have a proprietory startup screen such as Compaq, HP etc you would need to turn it off to see the code.

05-03-2002, 08:49 PM
I am trying to track down a VIA m/bs BIOS but can't see anything on their website
www.via.com.tw
??

Any other ideas like driversguide.com etc?

05-03-2002, 09:08 PM
Yep, but that leads to the orders page?

Free being the optimum word.

I think it might not be a VIA board?