PDA

View Full Version : Windows Me Shut Down Problems

05-03-2002, 05:27 PM
I Can't Shut My Computer Down
When I Do It Closes EveryThing And Sits There And When I Alt,Ctrl Delete It Freezes
Help I Cant Hibernate Either I End Up Putting It On Stand By Over Night When Im Not Using It.

05-03-2002, 06:00 PM
It's very often caused by a loaded program eg ad-busters, screen savers and so on.

Look at bottom right corner of windows and you'll see some of the icons. Start by closing down one of the programs (right click on it and select exit). Then try shutting down.

Test each of the programs one by one. The one that will allow the PC to shut down properly is a likely suspect (not 100% sure yet). Keep a list. Then at some point you will have to decide if you want to keep these program running or uninstall it. I've discovered a pop-up ad stopper causes my laptop not to shut down properly.

Now, about forcing a power off. If you are using a laptop, depress the power switch continuously for a few seconds (like 3 to 5 seconds) and it will switch itself off. If that doesn't work then remove the battery.

If PC then I'll just manually turn off the power source.

05-03-2002, 06:06 PM
Are you using Norton Antivirus? There is a bug in the earlier versions to do with it scanning floppy boot records on shut-down. If you are running this, let me know and I will give instructions on how to disable this feature.

By the way, it is not neccessary to start each word with a capital letter. One at the beginning of each sentence will do fine.

Happy computing.

G P

05-03-2002, 06:13 PM
The power control needs to be set up in the BIOS as well as in Windows. Check both.

By the way, Haden, you don't talk 'With A Capital Letter For Each Word And With No Pause At All Between Sentences', do you? Punctuation -- full stops ('.') and commas (',') make reading easier.

05-03-2002, 07:30 PM
Jeez this isnt an english lesson you sound like my english teacher.

05-03-2002, 07:32 PM
When I Start Up Theres Comet Cursors,Real Player 8,Real jukebox msn messenger and
activ board(for The keyboard)

05-03-2002, 07:41 PM
Didn't even notice the CAPS thing.
I use to say this for 98 but still the same with ME,
check this site out:
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/?IE

Its free!

05-03-2002, 07:48 PM
thats the first thing i tried there wasnt any thing there.

05-03-2002, 09:39 PM
Don't know if you're connected to a network or not, but I have found with Win98 PCs at work that a shutdown hang is usually caused by the network not disconnecting properly. (Maybe WinMe has the same problem.)

You can force it to disconnect by making a little batch file with the following command in it:

net use * /delete

Run the batch file before shutting down and it works fine.

Of course, if you're not connected to a network it probably won't help.

05-03-2002, 09:40 PM
Don't know if you're connected to a network or not, but I have found with Win98 PCs at work that a shutdown hang is usually caused by the network not disconnecting properly. (Maybe WinMe has the same problem.)

You can force it to disconnect by making a little batch file with the following command in it:

net use * /delete

Run the batch file before shutting down and it works fine.

Of course, if you're not connected to a network it probably won't help.

05-03-2002, 11:13 PM
Hayden,

can I be presumptuous and guess you are running Windows ME. The Antivirus would have been part of the software that came with your comp. Tell me if I am wrong.

(I had the same prob, same version of Norton.)

Open Norton Antivirus and click on the Options menu (Have new version now so can't remember exactly where this is) Then find the Auto-protect options tab. Under one of the advanced settings will be one which scans floppy boot records at shut down. Disable this option and your problems should be gone.

G P

05-03-2002, 11:46 PM
try this link

http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=KB;EN-US;Q273746&LN=EN-US&rnk=10&SD=tech&FR=0&qry=shutdown%20problems&src=DHCS_MSPSS_tech_SRCH&SPR=WINME&

06-03-2002, 09:30 AM
Haden

I had a similar problem with ME, basically ME is a pile of crap when it comes to operating systems. Do you sometimes get the blue screen of death when trying to shutdown? The only way I could fix my system was to do a full restore. Yeah its a pain and you will lose everything on your system but it was the only way for us to fix it. A curse on you Microsoft and your crappy ME.