PDA

View Full Version : Experience?

04-03-2002, 10:03 PM
You need experience to get a job and you need a job to get experience. The age old question that sits on my shoulders... I'm currently doing a diploma in business computing, and i was wondering where to get some experience and also if anyone had any good place to get techincal infomation on hardware and/ or software. I know this is not a employment office or anything but your experiences and knowledge would help me alot.

04-03-2002, 10:59 PM
Be more specific about what you are after. I have some oldish Compaq service manuals, and a few other bits.

Where are you? Auckland?

And don't apologise, I think we should look after each other around here. We do get to know each other after a while, and I would like to think we can help each other get into some work. It's not always easy, but even a reference or some volunteer work can help.

How's about you get more specific, David, and we can see what we can all do.

robo.
PS this doesn't sound too corny or gushy, does it? I'd hate it if people thought I was a big softie.

PPS I'm not really helping myself, am I. Damn.

04-03-2002, 11:25 PM
Depends what sort of knowledge you want.

Theoretical knowledge of hardware, try http://www.tomshardware.com, but if you want a really good idea of how everything fits together, pull yours (or someone elses ;-) computer apart and have a look see.

Software is a WHOLE different story because you wont find any sort of comprehensive knowledge from a single or even small group of sources, there is just WAY to much information.

I would suggest learning to program, including the basics of assembly. Learn what reverse engineering (aka hacking) is about and have a few goes so that you understand it all. NB dont try ripping off every peice of software you can find, a) its illegal and b)its a bit beyond what you can teach yourself in a week.

04-03-2002, 11:36 PM
Yea i was just looking for some web sites with some good up-to-date information on current hardware to help me with my studies. I was also wondering if anyone (preferably in the Auckland area, as thats were i am) could inform me of any one that would like either a part time worker, or even a volunteer 'helping hand' around the office(either in an I.T industry or business atmosphere). I do have transport but as I am a student looking for work, im starting to run low on funds if u know what i mean :)
Just a curious student looking for a break i guess.... ;)