PDA

View Full Version : tv tuner cards

04-03-2002, 09:42 PM
Has anyone any experience with these? I am thinking of getting one for my computer, but how would the picture compare to that of a TV? Can they get TV1 TV2 and TV3, and is there any possibility of them harming the computer?
stephen

04-03-2002, 10:54 PM
Hi, installed one for a friend recently (uses it for flicking across and see if the kiwis are losing at cricket again while working on study papers). I'm not into them myself, I've got a perfectly good tv at the other end of the house.

The picture is comparable to TV and some of them also incorporate a FM tuner into them as well so you can pick up radio stations. But do make sure you do your home work and check that the TV card you're interested in is compatible with your video card before you splash out and buy one. I noted some cards don't like the SIS video chipsets (usually ones intergrated into the motherboard).

04-03-2002, 11:14 PM
My son has recently installed one for me and i have not had any problems with it. It also has an FM tuner in it and the aiel supplied is quite adequate for it. this one also has a remote, bit of overkill really as I never use it, far quicker just to use the mouse. Picture quality is better than TV and is ideal for watching the poms get thrashed at cricket, although I tend to go for the live commentary on www.crickinfo.com myself. Its got teletext as well although this is nowhere as uptodate as most of the home pages out there on the net.

PP

05-03-2002, 05:57 PM
Won't harm the computer. Might cause brain damage to you if you watch the damn thing. I saw recently a report showing a high correlation between Altzheimer's disease and watching TV.