PDA

View Full Version : Ge Force 4

04-03-2002, 06:10 PM
i have just brought a g4(gainward geforce 4 powerpack Pro 600) and a soltek mother board(SL 75KAV with VIA KT133a chipset) i also have a connext modem and seem to have alot of system lockups that force me to reboot. I think it has something to do with the graphics cards does anyone have any ideas. Its a 1ghz processor and 256 ram so i don't think it lack of resources and a 320 watt PSu so it can't be that.

any help greatly appreciated

ps am going to get latest drivers

04-03-2002, 07:43 PM
Heat ? I had to stick an extra cooling fan over the Geforce2 MX200 in one of my machines, would you believe !!

04-03-2002, 07:57 PM
Hi Pete,
try turning off AGP4x, sidebanding, and fast writes in the BIOS. Also 2 sticks of RAM rather than 3 helps. The lastest VIA 4in1 drivers are bodged to help stability too. I'd take the board back if you have only just bought it, get anything but VIA.

04-03-2002, 08:44 PM
ok need some info first.

what os?

cpu? what is the fsb set to?

what cards and drives?

when does it lock up? how long does it take to lock up? what programs are running including background apps?

what is your temp readings? check in bios or use a program such as MDM (motherboard monitor).

how many fans? is the side of case open?

what heatsink?

dma enabled on hardrive?

check memory settings.

05-03-2002, 10:06 AM
win 98 and me (locks up under both upgraded thinking it might fix the prob)

amd athlon 1ghz 133mhz fsb

1 fujitsu harddrive 20 gb
1 conexant 56kps modem
1 fujitsu cd rom 52x
1 HP Cd-rw
floppy

the bios say 40 but it use to run in the old board at 49(haven't been able to download a program to measure temp cause it keeps lockin up)

3 case fans plus cpu cooler/heatsink case side is open

don't know wat heatsink think its tiger or something

dma is enabled

i've got a feeling it could be a problem with the via chipset. it seems to lock up mostly on the internet but does lockup in unreal tourny and return 2 wolfenstein only background apps are EPERTtool which came with the geforce and task scheduler and that liltle volume thingy

thanx