PDA

View Full Version : default html editor for internet explorer

04-03-2002, 11:48 AM
is there a way of changing the default html editor from microsoft word or notepad to wordpad??

i often use this when editing webpages and cgi's. these are saved in rich text and cannot be read easily in notepad and I hate word for html editing, wordpad is good but it is a bugger to have to open wp manually and then save the code i am looking at to disk and open it.

I would like to be able to get wordpad from the toolbar in ie, is there a way??

cheers, jimbob.

04-03-2002, 02:28 PM
Assuming you are using IE then select:

Tools... Internet Options...Programs and fill in the first option.

jt

04-03-2002, 03:03 PM
I think the real answer to your problem may lie in a Microsoft deception. You did not say which Win version you are using but in W95 the MS 'wiseheads' pulled a fast one. They upgraded Notepad to include some of the features (but far from all) of Win 3.x Wordpad. Then they dropped Wordpad from W95 but set up Wordpad and Notepad icons to BOTH invoke the new improved Notepad. I assume that this situation has not been changed in later editions of Windows but it might have been. If you used to use the Win 3.x version of Wordpad, and wish to get back to it again, try to get hold of a copy of the original Wordpad.exe file and run that from a new icon. The problem with doing it that way is that Win 95 file associations will be linked to the new Notepad. There is a somewhat involved way to get around that, and I think I have the instructions somewhere.

If you wish to pursue this line of attack post back to PF1 and I'll see if I can find the info.

04-03-2002, 03:27 PM
Robin,

You've got to be kidding, right?

Win 3.x had two programs - Notepad, a basic text only editor (and that's all it is) and Write, a somewhat similar (yet still different) program to Win9x's Wordpad.

In Win9x they still have Notepad, a basic text only editor, and they have Wordpad which is similar to a VERY basic word processor, and can open copies of older MS Word documents. However these are still two seperate and different programs.

And to Jimbob, you could change the default HTML editor in IE to something else, but they only way I know of would require a registry hack, which you really shouldn't try unless you know your way around the registry well.

If so, open regedit, and find

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML Editor

and under that key change the 'Description' from Notepad to Wordpad, then expand the key down to 'edit/command', and change from notepad.exe to wordpad.exe

I won't explain it any better than that, because if you know what you're doing in here, you'll understand, but if you don't know what you're doing, it's probably safer to leave it alone.