PDA

View Full Version : The Hard Drive Blues

04-03-2002, 09:06 AM
I am at wits end....

My old computer had 2 HDD's. On for the OS (WIN95) & app's, the other for storage and back up. Both FAT32. I just upgraded my computer and got a new 40GB drive and want to transfer what's on the storage drive across. Installation of the upgraded drive went simply and the system is running fine on WIN98 but when I put the second old drive(1.7GB) in it cannot be read.
The BIOS recognises the drive correctly and it shows up in Win Explorer but says it can't be red. Scandisk doesn't work on the drive as it can't be red & Fdisk says the format is unknown, but it was OK prior to removal from the old system as FAT32 and worked fine. No error messages have ever been received about this drive and it has no bad sectors.
I've check the jumpers and tried different combinations of Prim & Sec IDE channels but nothing works.
I'm loath to reformat as lots will be lost.

Help.......

04-03-2002, 10:28 AM
Mike,

You sort of lost me as to which drive you're having trouble copying over, but you could try booting off your old drive, with the new drive as secondary master, and the second old driver as primary slave - this way hopefully the old drive will work fine (as I gather it used to this way), and you can copy your info over to the new drive, and once this is completed you can reattach everything in your desired order.

HTH

Mike.

04-03-2002, 11:02 AM
Hi Mike, try to remember whether your old BIOS system set the drive to LBA or to Normal during detection. If you have the wrong setting in your new BIOS, even though the drive is recognised, it wont read. It should be LBA, it's possible you accepted Normal mode in your current setup.
Cheers

04-03-2002, 12:33 PM
It's the old storage drive that has the problem. The new one is sweet.
The drive I used to boot from went tits up, hence the new drive and so I can't replicate the way it was.

04-03-2002, 03:21 PM
The problem could be that your old storage drive was compressed. Check that out as Win 98 (I gather that's your current OS) might not open the compressed drives. Apparently there are several variants of Drivespace, even within Win 95, and they don't like one anothers' files.