PDA

View Full Version : CDROM not recognised by Windows

03-03-2002, 04:46 PM
I have an AMD Duron 805Mhz PC complete with a Samsung 52x CDROM and a 4x4x32 CDR-RW (presumably a Samsung also). It seems that the computer sees the CDROMs as it is booting up(I get a quick glimpse of the details as the system boots) but they do not show in Windows Explorer, in the control panel system display or in the My Computer display. I have been advised that I should download a new set of drivers and install but I can't get to the Samsung site to get them. The site always produces a 'time out' when I try to log on.

Can I get suitable drivers from elsewhere and how should I I recognise that I have the correct ones and go about installing them.

The drives actually go in and out and accept a disk but but do notfunction otherwise.

The drives were functioning OK a while ago but for some reason have 'died'.

03-03-2002, 05:56 PM
During the boot you should note what it says as this can be helpful in identifying your drive. I think you can hit pause to stop it and then press any key to resume.

You can rule out it's an IDE problem as they showed up in the boot.

Two drives dying at once is odd. If they are both Samsung it's possible they share similar driver files. So a driver file may have corrupted.

Have you installed any new hardware or software recently?

If you can provide more information on the type of drives, models anything that can help in finding the correct drivers someone could point you in the right direction.

04-03-2002, 02:03 PM
Check by usiong the BIOS setup that the drives have been recognised. (Thisdoes not prove that they work, just that they are 'there').

The drivers should be available from www.driverhq.com .

04-03-2002, 08:39 PM
Thanks for your comments.

I visited the Aussie website for Samsung and was able to identify the cdrom that I have. They also identified the driver for it. I was then able to locate one and download then instal in dos mode.