PDA

View Full Version : Dual Boot Linux\Win98 with separate hdd?s

26-02-2002, 12:07 AM
Is is possible to set up my computer so that I have Win98 on my primary master and Linux Redhat 6.2 on the secondary master and be able to boot either system or do I need to install them on the same drive? I have already installed the systems on the hdd?s but I can only boot the c:\ drive (Win98). I installed linux from a boot cd-rom but because I was new to the installation process and didn?t want to risk corrupting my c:\ drive (Win98)I disconnected that drive and setup another as primary for the Linux installation. After the linux installation I connected the c:\ (Win98) drive again as the primary master and installed the other (Linux) drive as the secondary master but I can only boot the Win98 drive. I haven?t risked trying the linux boot disk with the Win98 drive installed as I am not sure of the consequences of doing that.
Can anybody advise me as to the correct procedure for this type of installation (If it is possible offcourse)

26-02-2002, 01:30 AM
Yep, you can put linux on a secondary HD, just make sure that boot the w98 and linux partition are maked as active. You also want to make sure that the lilo boot program is installed on the linux partition and not the hard disks boot area.

I use a program called masterbooter to boot between linux and windows, and it also has one of the best partitioning tools i have used - efdisk.

26-02-2002, 12:34 PM
The best way to do it is to have win98 installed first.

Then install linux. When you get toward the end of the linux install answer yes to creating a boot floppy. After that selection you'll be asked where to install the boot loader, make sure the floppy is still in there and choose FD0 as the place to put the boot loader.

After doing this turning on the machine will start Win98 and when you want linux just put in the floppy and restart

(make sure to set a: as your first boot device in the bios when you restart after installing linux)

26-02-2002, 05:13 PM
If you are not sure about LILO, you don't have to use it. There is a safe way to boot Linux from DOS. On your installation CDs you should have a programme called 'loadlin.exe'. It is a DOS programme which will load your linux kernel from the WinDOS disk. The instructions for using it will be near it. A batch file (PIF?) gives it the options it needs. You will need to copy the kernel from /boot (it will be the only file in that directory of about 500K or more) to the WinDOS disk. (You could 'mcopy' that file to a floppy if you can't mount the other hard disk from linux.)

26-02-2002, 08:43 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply to this string and for offering solutions. Will give them a try :0)