PDA

View Full Version : CD Rom Won't read Magazine discs

25-02-2002, 08:25 PM
My Diamond data 20x cd rom Reads all my Program discs OK
But will not read some of the reacent discs from PC World &
PC Authority.I've tried these discs on another computer with a 52x drive and they work
OK. Do I need a new drive or is my configuration wrong.
Im running win95
Award A15TV Mother board
AMD 166 cpu

25-02-2002, 08:51 PM
I wouldn't rush out and buy a new drive right now assuming it works with other disks as you say. I read a recent disk on another computer using a 8 speed CDRom drive as they wanted to install some shareware.

It doesn't appear to be the speed of the drive then.

I must admit though that I haven't used one of the CD's you mention on MY computer.

What operating system are you using?

25-02-2002, 09:18 PM
I've been finding a similar problem lately, with both an Asus 40x and a BTC 8x4x32 CDRW. Using 98se

I find that sometimes if I put the disk in and comeback in 15mins it has loaded.

JM

25-02-2002, 09:43 PM
Noticed it myself a couple of times recently, especially since I wanted to try the Sun Office suite. Big time delays in waiting for it to start up or installing programs from the disk.

My suggestion is use Explorer (not 'My Computer' as it will try to autostart) to bypass the auto start up and copy the setup file you want straight to your hard drive before running.

26-02-2002, 12:23 AM
Hi there,

I can never get my PCArthorty discs to open.

Boo Hoo!!!

ALAN :-)

26-02-2002, 09:19 AM
In my experience CD-ROM drives are notoriously picky.

Can you actually see the contents of the disc or is it just not starting by itself?

For PCWorld discs try disabling autorun and use Windows Explorer to run the file called 'index.htm' from the root of the CD. This will start the HTML browser and skip the splash screen.

I'm not sure about the PC Authority discs...never used one.

26-02-2002, 04:48 PM
It depends. A new CD drive might be better at reading magazine CDs. It might be worse.

For a long time, I could not read CDs from PC User magazine, but had no trouble with those from Australian PC. Those magazines are published by the same company -- and possibly use the same supplier.

You might accept it as one of those things ... and occasionally send a file from a friend's computer to yours if you have a problem. A lot of the giveaways appear on several magazines' Cds.

26-02-2002, 07:15 PM
I understand that not autoplaying and exploring is easier. But yes, I do find the same thing. Blame my cdrom drive mostly.

robo.