PDA

View Full Version : I'm gunna throttle my computer!!

23-02-2002, 12:54 PM
Hey guys, you've helped me out before so i'm hoping I have some luck here again, my Comp has gone nuts on me.
I start it up, it gets past the windows screen, puts my background on, then appears to 'go to sleep'. The fan is still running, the Keyboard power light is on but Is unresponsive (not even the caps lock light will go on) The monitor light is flickering like it normally does when I forget to turn it off after turning the 'puter off.
It runs fine in safe mode.
Refuses to do a system restore - when I get back into safe mode it says nothing was changed.

Running win ME with 324 meg ram and a generally happy set up.
Have done a thorough virus check, tables updates last nite.
I installed a typing program yesterday - the only change i can think of, but can't uninstall as there are NO programs listed in add/remove programs (this isn't normal for safe mode is it!?*rips hair out*)
hoping you have a smart idea... *crossed fingers*

t?t
\_/
Em

23-02-2002, 01:45 PM
Try starting up in safe mode, hit F8 as it boots (hopefully, not sure about ME).
Alternatively, hold down shift an control as it starts to prevent start ups loading (it's control or shift, I can't remember which, but both works so what the heck).

robo

23-02-2002, 01:59 PM
Try upgrading to Windows 98SE! :)
Seriously, it sounds like a program or driver is not loading properly and causing Windows to stick.
Since you can start in Safe Mode, try running msconfig, and from the general tab you can select different start options from which you may be able to deduce whereabouts the problem lies.
The Startup tab also lists the programs loaded at start up, and one of these could be flaky. Try unchecking these programs and restarting. If you can start, one of these programs is the problem. If you restore each program progressively you may find which is the culprit.
Also look to see if any lines have been added to autoexec.bat and config.sys, if these files exist, you can uncheck them from the Autoexec.bat tab.
At the bottom of the General tab is an Advanced button, this is a trouble shooting facility, have a play.

The options available for trouble shooting are too numerous to go through here, but msconfig is the way to go initially.
Good luck.

23-02-2002, 02:27 PM
Hi Em

Sounds more like software than hardware but hardware capacities could be a problem. That is;
RAM space/Hard Drive space.

Loading your ME Windows operating system again sounds like a good second step, ( hopefully you'll have the software! ).

Upgrading to a larger/newer operating system such as W.95 or W.98 may not be an option if you have limited RAM or Drive space.

Problems I've encountered in the past sounding similar to yours were caused/solved by the following;

1. Computer capacity as mentioned above.

Possible solution. None really.

2. A program being introduced recently which does not function properly due to one or more of it's files being missing. Some virus programs have caused this problem for me in the past.

Possible solution. Go to DOS and see whether any recent cahnges have been made to your
autoexec.bat
config.sys

These files would indicate their date having been altered to a date close to the time your problems started.

Of course, this may not be the source of the problem at all. It's simply how I personally got around a problem similar to your system's in the past.

Throttle Up!

23-02-2002, 03:53 PM
I've had to reinstall ME on my neighbour's PC both times it has refused to start. (It gave a message -- error in RUNDLL). Yours gives no message?

Try Terry's way first. The reinstalls lost some programmes I had installed on the neighbour's machine the first time, but not the second time.

Bit of a Barsteward, isn't it.

23-02-2002, 05:25 PM
Hi. That all sounds odd alright. How about going into your system setup, by hitting the Del key as it boots - try restoring all settings there to their defaults (the Bios usually has that option).

Reinstalling ME over the top of your existing o/s is an option I'd also try.

If you can afford to lose all your programs, back up all your data files in safe mode, then reformat and do a clean install - almost all the ME probs I've heard of have come from not doing a clean install in the first place, because if it's done right apparently ME is really great.

Ignore the advice about the configsys and autoexecbat as you don't have them in ME I believe.

23-02-2002, 05:32 PM
WELL after all this time... here I am back on my good computer :) what a hassle tho! tried alsorts and to no avail, didn't even want to let me re-load winme over the top. BUT that's exactly what I did in the end, by cancelling an error message at exactly the right time and then clicking on windows setup as soon as it closed itself lol. Bit of a circus but it worked!! Will have to do a clean install again sometime soon I think coz this is the 3rd time i've just loaded it over the top. How rude that it should've needed it that much huh. (was only updated to winme about 3 - 4 months ago!!)

Thanks heaps for your help people!!!! much appreciated :)

t?t

Em

24-02-2002, 03:13 AM
Windows ME is a terrible system.
I reccommend you use 98 second edition if you can , or Windows 2000.
I use goback a great program that allows me to take the whole PC back in time very useful after doing install or updates that go wrong