PDA

View Full Version : How do I install from image?

23-02-2002, 10:31 AM
Once I have an image and want to copy it to CD, how do I initiate the load on the next PC?

Would I make it a bootable CD? Would I go to MSDOS and copy it to C:\ ? Would it have/or be a .exe file?

Cheers

23-02-2002, 11:25 AM
Don't really know what you want to do.

What is the image of? Explain clearly with specific details so that we can give you appropriate advice.

G P

23-02-2002, 12:22 PM
if you want the CD to automatically play when inserted then you need to get a third party program (i used tohave one and i forgot the name of it) just do a search for one.

23-02-2002, 03:34 PM
I want to take an image of a hard drive with the OS and programs installed and place this on other PC's. I figure to do this when everything is cleanly installed and save time?

Cheers

23-02-2002, 06:20 PM
Ok, I think I have you now.

Yes, the best thing s to have a clean install (ie untouched HD in the new machine).

Now I presume you used some sort of software to create the image?

This software should come wit a utility to create boot disks or emergengcy disks. Use these to boot into the program on the other pc. You can then insert the CD and restore from the image. Make sure that the boot disks are configured for whatever type of CD-ROM you are using at the other end as since there is no OS, the boot disks have the CD drivers on them. (you might actually need to have a clean install of the OS on the HD, and then the image will over write the configuration files, but I am not sure on this point.)

Try this, and repost any probs.

BTW you don't need a 3rd party prog to autoplay cd's, but just a file in the root directory of the CD called autoplay.inf created using notepad with the path to the setup file.

G P