PDA

View Full Version : IE6 follow-up as promised...

22-02-2002, 12:49 PM
Don't worry, it's not an in-depth critique of IE6; just an update.

So far, (touches wood, fondles rabbit's foot, caresses 4-leaf clover etc.), it has been totally painless. IE6 runs faster, and crashes less than IE 5.5 did. In fact the only instability I have had so far has been experimenting with History Kill. They didn't get along, so I uninstalled HK and everything is just splendid.

Now, if only I can get those blasted JetSomething ADSL micro outages solved, I'd be a surfing fool. Some, like the wife, already say I am. I don't think we mean the same thing though.

I will update the experience with IE6 at a later date. Ciao for now... :-)

22-02-2002, 03:23 PM
We too have had a very good run from IE6, I was a little surprised to say the least. We installed it as soon as it came out on a PCWorld disk if you can remember that far back and it just hums along ever since.

As for the outages, depending on how you have your connection set up, when you get dumped, does your system log straight back in or do you have to click Reconnect.

If you are having to click Reconnect and are running win95/98/ME there is a small utility called Dunce 2.52 that will log back in for you.
If you download it post a new message to get my attention, I will drop you a couple of hints about it.

22-02-2002, 04:28 PM
Okay, on JetStream, what exactly do you class as a micro-outage?

As compared to a mini-outage, minor-outage, macro-outage, maxi-outage, or mega-outage?

I've had no service for hours the last two Monday mornings, and it was slower than a wet week yesterday afternoon about 2pm.

I am pretty annoyed, and so far have had little sympathy from my esteemed ISP.

Have you guys had a crack on this issue?

r e t
(verging on becoming a consumer campaigner)

22-02-2002, 06:37 PM
Gordon, re JetThing...

Sometimes it seems to reconnect by itself but other times it needs a restart by me. It appears to be random.

Yesterday's slo-mo performance was an XTRA rather than JetWhatever problem.

Cheers,

Andy.

22-02-2002, 06:46 PM
OK. A micro outage is when the ADSL connection ceases for some unknown reason and is recognised by the lack of activity on-line and the systray icon showing 2 red panels.

Restoring the monitor indicates that there is no connection or that it is 'connecting' or 'searching'.

The other outages are periods where the connection appears to be there, but no net activity is visible.