PDA

View Full Version : ZoneAlarm and Download Accelerator Plus

18-02-2002, 08:19 PM
Hopefully someone can help me here. I've got ZA (a brilliant tool) and DAP. When I first installed DAP and ran it, all was fine i.e. it successfully did the download. After shutting down and restarting I got the blurb about 'windows is updating blah blah blah' and now, when I try to download something with DAP, ZA steps in and denies access. I've tried saying 'always allow' and even given DAP server rights in ZA. I don't know what's going on, and I really like both products. Any clues, anyone?

18-02-2002, 09:11 PM
Delete Download Accelerator Plus out of the Program Settings in ZoneAlarm and try using DAP and hopefully ZA will pick it up trying to access the internet.

If it's denying access is that because you've got ZoneAlarm in lock mode? Or you may have stopped another application that is required for DAP.

DAP doesn't not require Server rights.

20-02-2002, 02:57 PM
Although ZA is very easy to use, it's actually not very configurable. If DAP uses some very uncommon ports for downloading, ZA will block it no matter how you configure ZA to not block it. This is the case for some types of FTP transfers. Also, if you play Starcraft on BattleNet, you will run into this problem as well.

If you really like ZA, try getting ZApro, which gives you more freedom in configuring these settings. Otherwise, get the free Tiny Personal Firewall from www.tinysoftware.com instead.

20-02-2002, 06:30 PM
Interesting comments, guys. It was definitely DAP itself that ZA was complaining about. The alert log says 'me' using program 'download accelerator plus' did some bad things (I'm paraphrasing somewhat) so it wasn't some other piece of software DAP was using.

However I've downloaded and installed the 30-day trial of ZAPro. Guess what? It allowed DAP to download fine, and I hadn't changed any config settings! Weird, huh?

Also I used DAP to download ZAPro and it started up 4 'threads', 2 of which were denied by ZA and 2 continued the download. But eventually these 2 failed, and restarting the download only worked if I stopped ZA. Might try to install ordinary ZA again and see if something isn't flushed by having had ZAPro.

I'll let you know how I get on.

PS. Tried going to tinysoftware.com. Link died bigtime.