PDA

View Full Version : system resources

18-02-2002, 03:00 PM
When using Word I get the following message
'The system is dangerously low in resources. Would you like to terminate the following application? WINWORD (not responding)'
What do I do?

18-02-2002, 04:23 PM
Restarting your computer should fix it unless word itself is broken.

18-02-2002, 04:47 PM
Say 'yes' to shut down Word before restarting ...

I suspect that your disk is getting cluttered enough that you have not got enough virtual memory.

Do a defrag. (Boot to Safe Mode to do this).

18-02-2002, 05:31 PM
resources is not the same as ram. what os?

it sounds like you simply have to many progs running. close the ones you don't need at the moment.

18-02-2002, 08:48 PM
Sounds like a load of horse...

Unless you're running a system pre-dating the age of man, windows is just saying this because it doesn't like you.

Re-install the normal.dot template, restart, and if necessary re-install word... If that doesn't do the trick I'll eat my hard drive!

:)

Well, maybe just the Modem, Hard drives are expensive you know...

:)

Erin

20-02-2002, 12:03 PM
Lovely MS office at 'work' (or not)

Make sure there is lots of room on your drive. Make sure everything is closed and then find and kill anything that starts with ~ and/or ends with .tmp

23-02-2002, 06:03 PM
Your comp may be loading too many apps at startup. They use resources even though they are not actually running. (most people are not even aware of them)
Look at the right hand side of your task bar and if you see a string of icons there, there are too many things running in the background.
To find out what your resource situation is, right-click on 'My Computer', click 'Properties', then click the Performance tab. If the resources are say, below 85% you are getting pretty low.
Anything you may be running like Bonzibuddy, Felix, sheep or some butterfly cursor thingee are cute, but they gobble resources!
Go to http://ravensperch.terrashare.com to get the lowdown on what to do about all this. (I accessed this site some time ago, so I hope it still exists, if not, contact me at email and I will forward the info)
Hope that helps.

23-02-2002, 06:05 PM
Your comp may be loading too many apps at startup. They use resources even though they are not actually running. (most people are not even aware of them)
Look at the right hand side of your task bar and if you see a string of icons there, there are too many things running in the background.
To find out what your resource situation is, right-click on 'My Computer', click 'Properties', then click the Performance tab. If the resources are say, below 85% you are getting pretty low.
Anything you may be running like Bonzibuddy, Felix, sheep or some butterfly cursor thingee are cute, but they gobble resources!
Go to http://ravensperch.terrashare.com to get the lowdown on what to do about all this. (I accessed this site some time ago, so I hope it still exists, if not, contact me at email and I will forward the info)
Hope that helps.