PDA

View Full Version : Linking Laptop to PC

18-02-2002, 12:22 AM
I have a Compaq Presario 1200 running win98 and want to connect it to my desktop PC for file transfers etc. The laptop came with a 'CNet' plug in device and has a CNet CN40BC PCMCIA Ethernet card. The output on the CNet device has 2 connections of which I can use the BNC connection to link to the Dlink card on my desktop PC. What software is recommended to cheaply and sucessfully achieve the connection?

18-02-2002, 01:11 AM
Win98 should be capable for doing a simple network like that. I have never used BNC connectors before and don't know specifically how they work.

18-02-2002, 01:11 AM
by the sounds of it you have network cards so all you need to do is set up the network.

http://www.helmig.com/j_helmig/basics.htm

18-02-2002, 01:22 AM
You don't mention your desktops os but assuming it has 98 as well you will not require any other software.
Go to /Control Panel/Network/Identification and make sure both computers have the same workgroup name but different computer names. On the configuration page make sure File and Printer sharing is enabled and I would assume the protocols needed are already there eg. ipx and tcp. Next open up Explorer and right click on the drives you want to share and chose sharing giving them a share name. If all is ok at this point (you may have needed to do a couple of restarts) within Explorer again go to the Tools menu item and choose map network drive and under the path Type '\\ComputerName\ShareName where computer name is the name of the computer you want to connect to and share name is the name of the drive or folder you allowed sharing on that computer.

18-02-2002, 01:44 PM
The software should be 'trivial'.

The cable is critical: it must be RG58 50 ohm cable.

You also need a Tee connector and a 50 ohm terminator for each end.

It won't work without the termination.

If you add more computers, you need only a Tee connector and another cable for each. The terminators must be at the ends of the cable run.