PDA

View Full Version : Once I've deleted index.dat...

17-02-2002, 02:26 PM
Is it ok to create that file and make it read-only? Would that cause any errors?

What is the index.dat file?

17-02-2002, 02:33 PM
Maybe youve got it on your startup floppy?

17-02-2002, 05:13 PM
The index.dat file is a record of all web addresses visited since you internet history was last cleared.

When you clear your history however, it doesnt delete this file, it merely resets the file pointer to zero and begins overwriting the data.

Hence it will never get smaller, only bigger.

Never tried creating a read-only version of the file, cant see much point in it though. I suspect IE may not like it very much, and unless you have something to hide, the only value in not having the file is that you can save say... 60 odd KB...

17-02-2002, 05:18 PM
I don't have anything to hide but my problem is if it's caching the pages it's probably my cause of having to refresh a page until it's correct.

I am creating websites and everytime I update a site and test it out I need to keep refreshing it to recognise the new updates. I've changed the settings in IE to refresh automatically, every visit all of them to no avail. So I thought if I clear the index.dat file and make it read-only so it can't cache the pages I would always get the new updated pages.

It's just an idea else I'll have to dig deeper to why it happens. Might be pages cached on the server???

17-02-2002, 06:36 PM
I turned all my index.dats in both 98SE and 2000 into read only files some time ago and the only thing I have noticed is that I cannot memorise my site passwords to Windows anymore - big loss eh? - and the loss of the history file - I sure do not miss it??

They have not grown since I did it months ago and I have not been aware of any hassles at all that affect surfing the web.

17-02-2002, 11:15 PM
Well I deleted the index.dat file. Created a text file named index.dat and made it read-only.

Putting it to the test and so far it's good. Haven't noticed a single problem. Sites passwords I don't use as it doesn't seem safe.

The history folder is now history which is good because I didn't use it at all.

Well that's one thing solved. Another thing could be deleting the history folder and creating a text file without an extention called history and making that read-only. The things you can do...