PDA

View Full Version : Norton AntiVirus 2001/2002

17-02-2002, 12:33 PM
After recently upgrading my OEM copy of Norton Antivirus 2001 to Norton Antivirus 2002, I have noticed some Inconsistencies .

The user interface is nicer. However there are not as many options avaliable, you cannot customise your scan as much, e.g.you cannot select the email accounts you want protected, it Obviously does them all. Whats going on with the guys at Symantec, shouldn't you be able to pick? There are also more but I cant remeber them of hand.

My main query is that in NA 2001 it changed my pop3 server from pop3.paradise.net.nz to pop3.norton.com or something. Why hasn't my pop3 address been changed with NA 2002? Also I would expect my smtp address to change as NA 2002 now has outgoing protection, why hasn't it?

Can someone please set me straight, tell me if I am nuts or if there is something wrong with my computer?

Cheers

Matt

P.S. As you can probably tell I am obsessed with having a 'clean' computer.

17-02-2002, 01:42 PM
Matt,

why would you want to scan one email account and not another?

I think that the reason why your pop and smtp addresses haven't changed is because NAV uses a different method to scan incoming and outgoing mail. Does the same job, just doesn't seem to have the problems the other method seemed to have all the time.

HTH

Mike.

17-02-2002, 04:57 PM
nothin wrong with ya puta,

NAV02 doesn't setup a proxy server like NAV01 did, it just intercepts the messages and copies them to a temp location, scans them and then passes it to the mail client. You'll probably also notice that it messes up the download status bar in outlook express as well.

but it's completely normal.

Cheers,

Ecko