PDA

View Full Version : Linux & a Winmodem

16-02-2002, 01:23 PM
Hi there, I have a dual boot system, and i can't seem to get my conexant HSF modem running, I have downloaded the driver from conexant and installed it using the package manager, but when I use KPPP, it says it can't find /dev/modem I have a feeling I have missed something painfully obvious, so any help would be appreciated.

16-02-2002, 01:42 PM
There is no real device called '/dev/modem'. That is a symbolic link to the actual device, which might be /dev/cua4 or something like that.

You can check by 'ls -l /dev/modem' that the link does not exist. I thought that it should have been created by the installation script, but it might be left to be done by the network configuration. There were no errors or complaints from the installation script?

The control panel of KDE might help you make the link, else Programmes/System/ or Programmes/Network in the menus ... I don't know KDE, and don't use internal modems.

Check with the documents with the driver -- it should tell you what device it is. If all else fails, you can make the link by 'ln -s /dev/actual_device /dev/modem'.

Erin or Kame should come in here with the actual device name ...

16-02-2002, 04:08 PM
The actual name is /???/ttyHSF0 (that's a zero) sorry I've forgotten the first part to it. I haven't been using my Linux for a while.

16-02-2002, 04:13 PM
So that will be 'ln -s /dev/ttyHSF0 /dev/modem'. That HSF0 will have a digit zero, not a letter 'O'. (In case you have more than 1!).
Thanks Kame.