PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy RAM

15-02-2002, 09:01 PM
What are the dangers (if any) to the rest of my system if a RAM stick I install is faulty. The reason I ask is because a friend of mine recently built a new PC and threw me an old dusty RAM stick that will fit my PC. We have no reason to believe it is faulty, but I have a case of the what if's.

Any comments?

G P

15-02-2002, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't hesitate, It'll either go, or not go.

15-02-2002, 09:49 PM
Trying it out shouldn't cause any problems with the existing ram. I agree with KO it'll either work or not. Remember to take the precautions of wearing a static strap, cause if you're not properly earthed and you do bump or touch the existing memory then you will have problems.
Go across to the upgrade section of this site which has a good article on Ram this month.

15-02-2002, 11:44 PM
Techincally (if Ive spelt it right) Nothing. But Last time I tried it it It cost me a reinstall of win2K.But thats my fault for not testing it on my disposable unit.

Worst case senario you'll blow the bus. Which is why I Had a disposable machine.

==Orac==

16-02-2002, 02:58 PM
The worst case is that it might crash your computer. If it's writing to disk at the time, that could cause some file or system corruption.

But you're probably used to that by now.

I don't see how bad memory can 'blow a bus'.

16-02-2002, 06:03 PM
Thanks guys,

It turned out to be stuffed.

Graham, re your last statement:

Perhaps if you forgot about the explosives in you left on the bus?

G P