PDA

View Full Version : scanning callibration

14-02-2002, 04:12 PM
when scanning photos the info appears 'calibrating' then everything seizes up. Any clues?

14-02-2002, 04:17 PM
Might be helpful to know which OS, software, and hardware you're using? :-)

14-02-2002, 04:23 PM
If you have just bought it and plugged it in, there is a little trap. Sometimes the scanner has a carriage lock, to stop damage while it is being shipped. If the lock is not released, the carriage will not move, and the software will wait for that to happen. And wait. And wait.

14-02-2002, 10:01 PM
had that problem myself with a new pc of the next door neighbours, took it bac to the PC Company who showed me were the carriage lock was and it worked fine! Should have RTFM!

PP

14-02-2002, 10:43 PM
Thanks Guys and gals. Have checked the locking mechanism - but -now things are a little clearer. The darn thing says calibrating, then slows right down. After giving up, I then check in mydocs and see these little blank icons sitting there. Am I trying to scan at a higher resolution than necessary?
By the way here sre the specs - pentium 3. Myra scanning equipment etc and windows 98. Does that give you any more help towards solving my problem?

15-02-2002, 02:37 PM
You could *easily* be using too high a resolution.

Keep the arithmetic in mind: if you scan an 8' x 10' area at 1000x1000 resolution and 24 bit colour, you need 8x10x3 MB of memory to hold the scan. Try 240 MB. Have you got that much free memory?

Try a scan at 80x80 or 100x100 resolution and 8 bit (256 colours). The software will probably tell you how big a file you will get.

If a scan is bigger than the available memory on your computer, the system will use 'virtual memory' and use disk space to replace the non-exsistent memory. This is SLOW.

Any resolution over 72 or 100 for anything to be displayed only on the screen is too high. And will give huge files.

Think about this when you email pictures to people ...

Keep the resolution and colour selection at minimum while you are experimenting, and it will go much faster.