PDA

View Full Version : XP search

14-02-2002, 02:20 PM
Running XP but I ,(so it tells me), have lost a file which results in me not being able to use the search facility. The function box comes up but there is blank where there should places to fill in what it is that I am searching for.. Can I reinstall XP over the top of the existing installation without losing my work or whatall?.

14-02-2002, 02:29 PM
If you can find the file just putting that in the correct directory would fix that problem.

You can reinstall XP over the top and you shouldn't lose your work. I always recommend doing a backup just as a precaution because mistake can happen.

14-02-2002, 04:11 PM
question more than help.doesnt xp have a self restore function or time back restore?
One would presume there is no longer sfc or the like with a self restore operating system.check the help section within program

14-02-2002, 05:58 PM
Here is an article out of the Microsoft Knowledge base that may be of use....

Error Message: 'A File That Is Required to Run Search Companion Cannot Be Found' (Q315330)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
On your Microsoft Windows XP-based computer, when you click Start , and then click Search , you may receive the following error message:

A file that is required to run Search Companion cannot be found. You may need to run setup.
As a result, you cannot start Search Companion.

CAUSE
This behavior can occur there are files missing from your installation of Windows XP, or if some Windows XP files are damaged.

RESOLUTION
There are two methods to resolve this behavior. To do this, follow these steps.

NOTE : You must be logged on as Administrator or as a member of the Administrators group in order to perform this procedure.

Missing Files
Disable any anti-virus programs that are running on your computer, including BIOS-level antivirus protection. For more information about how to do this, please refer to the program documentation or contact the manufacturer.

Click Start , and then click Run . In the Open box, type SFC /SCANNOW . You may be prompted to insert the Windows XP installation CD-ROM.

Try the Search feature again. If the issue is still resolved, repair the Windows XP installation.
Repair the Windows XP Installation
Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive. For more information about how to do this, please refer to your computer's documentation or contact your computer manufacturer.

Insert your Windows XP compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

When the 'Press any key to boot from CD' message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:
To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.
At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do not select this option.

On the Windows XP Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows XP.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

15-02-2002, 07:57 PM
i had the same problem a while back, i did not do any of these steps as posted here. I reinstalled IE 6 as part of another fix and that fixed the search companion as well.
Another thing that may help, download and install the latest version of the windows messenger, as a mate of mine did this and it fixed his search companion fault.

Jimbob

16-02-2002, 04:03 PM
Thanks Guys, will get onto a.s.p.