PDA

View Full Version : Word 2000 is acting strangely.

14-02-2002, 01:31 AM
Word 2000 is behaving very strangely since this afternoon. Sometimes when I open the program itself, and sometimes when I open, close or save a file I get the deadly blue screen and an informative message saying there's an error at OE:0187:BFF8E64B... I press any key and then get WINWORD caused a general protection fault in module USER.EXE at 0007:00006ad3. Clicking on close delivers me to an unresponsive or missing desktop,at which point I have to physically press reset (ctrl+alt+del doesn't work: total freeze except for the mouse) One time I also got a message when saving that said I have insufficient memory or disk space; I have plenty of both. There was also a 'dagerously low in resources' message. i tried reinstalling word, but it's still the same. Any ideas?

Scott

14-02-2002, 02:05 AM
A couple of ideas to be going on with:

Get the exact message and search for it on www.google.com - they have all the MS Messages.

If a specific file is mentioned in the message, *try the system file checker:
Start, Run, 'sfc'.

(*Warning - there may have been a LOT of files replaced by various installs - don't be alarmed; just look for the one mentioned in the message.)

14-02-2002, 02:08 PM
Hi.
Sounds like the problem I had last month.
Do a search (on PressF1) for 'normal.dot' then select the date 17/01/02 then follow the responce.

Peter.

14-02-2002, 05:38 PM
Thanks for the replies. My NORMAL.DOT was over 500KB (seemingly empty when viewed in notepad, too), and the newly recreated one is now 27KB. I hope this solves the problem, it seems to be working fine (although I did get some new exciting errors about VxD VMM and VxD VFAT today (before I deleted NORMAL.DOT but not while using word). I hope it's all related and gone forever.

Word sure loads a lot faster though!
(fingers crossed)