PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Purchases

14-02-2002, 12:30 AM
If anyone is looking to buy a digital camera, dont bother looking at NZ retailers.

Im about to buy an Olympus CZ-100UZ camera, and even given the international shipping, bank fees, insurance and lousy $US-$NZ rates at the moment, Im getting this top end camera for NZ$1000 cheaper than anyone in NZ can supply it.

Its amazing the price differences between us and the rest of the world.

Check out http://www.tristate.com if you are interested.

14-02-2002, 02:53 PM
Iain

It might be worthwhile if you are buying a really expensive top of the line one, if you're lucky.

Don't take this the wrong way or anything but I would humbly suggest you blow your theory out your ear.

If you buy a camera at a local store, they will negotiate on price if you ask. Also, they will look after you when things go wrong. Even maybe loan you a unit. I heard a story recently from an airline pilot who took his camera (purchased in Hong Kong) in to a store here. The thing took about three weeks to get fixed. Reasonably enough, the store weren't going to lend him one, and he discovered the same model on the shelf at a price that he could have bargained down to the price he paid in Hong Kong.

As for issues with models being sold overseas but not here, don't go there.

I welcome a rebuttal.

robo.

18-02-2002, 09:50 PM
Look before you leap. Box contents of USA model might not be the same as what you get locally i.e. batt & charger may be excluded. Also have heard that some cheep prices in USA are for grey imports and instruction books and camera are in Japanese. Have a look at superbuys.co.nz if you are interested in Sony cameras price is pretty close to USA list if GST is taken into account