PDA

View Full Version : Unable to Open Photos on Disk

13-02-2002, 09:49 AM
Hi There, Hopefully someone out there in cyberland may be able to help me on my BIG problem. I rebooted my computer last week as it was causing me a few minor problems. Before I rebooted I saved all my photo library to disc, these photos were priceless family history and more. As I reloaded my system after rebooting life seemed great again. Today I went in to check my photos I had written to disc (using corel printhouse 3 software) and each one of them wont open and comes up with the error message 'Invalid Header' I saved each photo in JPeg format. What have I done wrong?? And will I ever get these photos back?? Please somebody HELP !! I would appreciate anything that might mean my precious photos are not lost forever!!

Thanks
Michelle :o)

13-02-2002, 11:02 AM
Michelle,
Maybe this will help....

http://www.homepage-magazin.de/forum/software/2000/001/232.shtml

don't know if this will help but worth a try...

13-02-2002, 03:00 PM
If you reinstalled the Corel software, it may have setup its default file type differently, and if you have been clicking on the files (rather than starting Printhouse and using File/Open) that could give you problems. Try opening them from the programme. See what the Help in the programme tells you about the different file types. You may have to try a few to get the right one.

The fact that the complaint is about the header indicates that it is something like this. There are various types of JPEG file --- they are identified by information held in the first block of the file.

I don't think you have lost the pictures.

17-02-2002, 11:43 PM
Try this: Start your internet browser up and click on 'file - open'. Then navigate to your floppy drive a: (with your disc in) and try opening up a picture. If it works, right click on the picture and save it back to your hard disc....

19-02-2002, 11:43 PM
I would guess that one or other of the earlier postings will solve your problem, but if not try an image viewer util such as ACDSee - acdsystems.com/products/acdsee or IrfanView (sorry no address but a search should find it). ACDSee costs but there may be a free trial version; I think Irfaview is free. These progs open multiple file types and you should be able to re-save in a type that Corel will open. Good luck.