PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Freeze

12-02-2002, 07:14 PM
I have a new system - Athlon 1700+ - 512Mb DDR Ram - Windows XP Home.

The problem is that the system freezes up from time to time. Sometimes it will run for a couple of days. Other times, it will freeze up within an hour. The only possible pattern I can identify is that it only seems to happen when the machine is idle. Rebooting the machine usually restores normal operation but occasionally it will freeze at the 'loading your settings' screen and have to be rebooted a second time before returning to normal operation.

I have attempted to do some sort of diagnosis by leaving the performance monitor running and observing what has happened immediately before the freeze. It always shows intense processor and disk activity immediately prior to freezing.

Any help greatly appreciated.

12-02-2002, 07:47 PM
What sort of freeze occurs? Hard lock with no mouse or caps lock light toggling? Hard lock with mangled picture on the screen? It's likely to be heat problems with either the CPU or graphics card if it's either of these symptoms. Also problems relating to the AGP bus can manifest in this way. If it just conks out but you still have mouse/keyboard it's possibly a virus scanner playing up, or wobbly CD writer software.

12-02-2002, 07:58 PM
Are you leaving the PC then coming back to it to find it has locked up???

If so then turn off ( turn off hard disks and also hibernate mode ) in the power supply options.

12-02-2002, 09:38 PM
In response to blah blah:

The symptoms are that the screen locks and neither mouse nor keyboard are active. The screen displays the last image perfectly including the time it froze.

12-02-2002, 09:40 PM
Responding to Tony B:

One of my first thoughts was that it may be the power settings so I have turned off all power saving settings, screen savers etc Problem still occurs exactly thre same.