PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express Adress Book Problem

12-02-2002, 04:28 PM
Have just done clean install of 98se. Pryor OS was 95b. Before wiping 95 OS, I backed sucessfully backed up my address book by expoting it to a .WAB file, however once 98se (OEM) was sucessfully installed, do you think I could IMPORT my very sizable (and precious) address.wab back into outlook express? NO WAY HOSE.

Can anyone shine some light on my hideous dilema? Also to cover my tracks I copied all the folder from C:\windows\application data\microsoft\outlook directory with all the inbox, outbox, deleted...data but it is ALL different in 98se, aaaaaaaaahhhhhh

12-02-2002, 06:55 PM
Hi Bill I've had the same problem on more than one occasion. How I got around it was to open the backed up copy ( just double click on it ) and then select all the entry's and then open up the address book in OE and just drag the entry's over and drop.
May take a while as it may ask if you want it in there or some thing I forget what it says now but you might find it good as you can thin out any unwanted addresses in you address book.

Hope it helps Tony.

13-02-2002, 12:34 PM
Hi Bill,not much help this time,but an idea I found very handy was ,If you have a hotmail account,you can syncronise your address book with your hotmail address book.That way you always have an up to date copy of your address book that is not held on your PC,so if your PC dies and you loose everything you always have your copy of your address book at hotmail,and all you need to do is re-syncronise your addres book and it will import them all back for you.
Hope this is some help for the future
Peter

14-02-2002, 03:20 PM
Bill,

Can you still open the .wab file you saved??

If so, open it and do a File > Export > Other Address Book...

Choose the Text File option, and click Export.

When it's all saved try importing this into Outlook.
I've used this method numerous times and it's worked everytime.

Hope this helps :-)

14-02-2002, 08:42 PM
Hey thanks very much for the response, but unfortunately there seems to be NO WAY I can even open the WAB file...even tried downloading a few programs...'Dawn' plus 'address magic' but even though when created it said something like WAB file created sucessfully I cannot open it!