PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive problem

12-02-2002, 12:49 PM
I have a problem with files on the main hard drive that I can't access or delete. They are located in the root directory and also in thw Widows directory under profiles applications.
The files are sometimes indicated as being ) bytes in size and always with characters such as $#&* etc as file names. It has now had the effect of stopping Nortons Utilities in running either disk clean or Windows repair. etc
The disk size is 3Gig and has two partitions.
Help Please.

12-02-2002, 04:43 PM
That looks like a corrupted directory. The worry is: 'what has done it?' Check for viruses.

If you can't delete the files from Windows Explorer, try the Norton disk editor. I'm not sure what it's called these days. Or Norton Disk Doctor?

You will probably want to do a reinstall after you clean the disk up. Save your data in the other partition wwhile you fix Windows.

12-02-2002, 09:11 PM
Graeme Lees is on the right track wrt virus possibility and using Norton. If the directory files have been corrupted make sure that nothing else is written to your disc until you have attempted recovery. Assuming you or a mate has disc editing skills use Disc Editor in Norton Utilities. If you need help to use Norton get 'Norton Utilities 7 - Instant Reference' (3rd ed., M. Gross, Linda Gaus) (available Ak City libraries) or similar. This is for a DOS version of Utilities but most procedures probably hold for later versions. Rename botched files, you may need them and can maybe deduce real names later. Good luck.

13-02-2002, 05:36 PM
Thanks very much for your helpfull suggestions. I have tried renaming the files but it won't let me. Virus checks have revealed nothing . Will try Nortons Disk editor. Question can it recognise a physical fault on the disk itself and repair it.
Question If I relocate all files and applications needed to the other partition on the disk can I reformat the faulty partion without affecting them.
Thanks

13-02-2002, 06:41 PM
I didn't think that you could have renamed those files (not that it would have been useful with a size of '('.
I hoped that you might have been able to delete them.

Disk editor can clean up a directory, but not 'fix' a hard error on the disk. Scandisk can, by mapping th bad sectors to spare ones so that the bad spots are not used. Formatting does that too.

Yes, if you copy things you want to keep to the other partition they will not be touched by Format. I am happier with reinstalling applications rather than copying them backwards and forwards, but it probably works. You can always reinstall if any of them don't work.
Partitioning 'creates' separate 'disks'. If you say 'format c:', it can not 'see' a partition called 'd:'.

You will find looking at a directory with a disk editor interesting. You will see what I mean by 'corrupted' when you find your odd ones.
By the way, you will see a lot of directory entries with the first character of the name shown as a Greek letter. These are deleted files. That's all that is changed when you delete a file. But the actual blocks the file existed on can be overwritten as soon as the directory entry is changed like that. That is why 'undeleting' is not always possible.

13-02-2002, 11:05 PM
What version of Windows are you running? If you wish to pursue the idea of renaming the duff files you may succeed if you can obtain a DOS based version of Nort Util and run it FROM A FLOPPY after using the Lock command (otherwise Windows denies direct disc writes). This may not work if you have a Windows 2000 version. You can get enough of a DOS version of NU on a floppy to do what you want. This is a long shot and probably not worth it, but the file sizes being reported might also be a corruption so they could be important files. For further info on disc editing, including the structure of the directory data 2 slightly old but still useful books are - 'PC Data Recovery and Disaster Prevention' (Harris, S. and S. Nugus) and 'Que?s Guide to Data Recovery' (Scott Mueller). NU's Disc Doctor will physically check your disc. I think that standard reformatting will redo the whole disc, so suggest checking out a utility with good refs called Partition Magic. Good luck.