PDA

View Full Version : New PC! what Ram? which OS?

11-02-2002, 07:03 PM
Time to get a new PC (!) but which choices.... Basis a P4 and 256 Mb RAM but which type? SD RAM or RD RAM? and th4 which chipset?
Is RD Ram worth the extra money - is should it be SD RAM and more of it?

It needs to be compatable with Win 98 and NT4 on a small LAN

Am mainly running this at work with (older) Office apps / Photoshop/ pagemaker/ Dreamweaver/ Dragon Nat Speaking etc.

Thanks!!
IH

11-02-2002, 08:22 PM
leave the sdram to the cheapo's. ether DDR or RDRAM. if RDRAM is to exspencive then get DDR. personaly i would go DDR and lots of it.

11-02-2002, 08:22 PM
Hi,

Firstly I would advise an Athlon XP over a P4, but you're in charge here, so if P4 is the way, definately get SDRAM, or DDR... 256MB DDR is only $40 more than 256MB SDR. And it does bring a reasonable performance increase...

I'd advise XP Pro over anything at the moment for business (except linux of course), but Windows 2000 is not a slap in the face by comparison

Back to the RAM thing, Definately not RDRAM, it is 3-4 times the prices, and on almost all (as in 90-something percent) applications it is pissed on by standard ram types anyway... The real competition is between DDR and SDR. I'd advise DDR because it gives you some really nice motherboard options. Depending on what your requirements are you'll want different componentry, but a 2GHZ P4 (there's no point going any slower, because it's the only one faster than an Athlon in more than 50% of apps) with 256MB DDR, 40GB Hard Drive, GF2 MX 400 and a reasonable monitor will cost you somewhere in the vicinity of $3000... If I were building it I'd offer you an Athlon 1800+ with 512MB SDRAM, 40GB, 20x10x40x CD-RW GF2 MX 400, 17' for more like $2500... And it'd be a little faster than the P4 equivalent.

I'm still more inclined to sell 512MB SDRAM over DDR, but 256 DDR is better for more across the board usage, whereas that much SDR is good for games, multimedia etc...

Those are my thoughts, let me know if you want to buy something from me....!

:)

the FAT man

12-02-2002, 12:41 AM
Correct me if Im wrong, as Ive never actually had the money to play with a P4 ;-)

I was under the impression that if you go for a P4, then your only option is for DDR as those are the slots available on the motherboard... are DDR slots backwards compatible with SDRAM sticks?

14-02-2002, 03:40 PM
Hey Eric,are you selling this XP 1800,cause I'm intersted at that sorta price,my monies available in 2 weeks so where are you to be found?