PDA

View Full Version : modem/line speed

11-02-2002, 05:56 PM
Whats wrong... until recently my 56K modem connected to my ISP (paradise) at 48,000 bps. (46,000 on a bad day). For the last 2 days i'm lucky if it gets to 24,000 bps.Is it the line, isp, or card (or other!)that is the likely culprit??
Bruce

11-02-2002, 08:59 PM
Hi. Sorry to give a short inconclusive answer, but it could be any or all of the above, and more. It'd be a lot easier to help diagnose or offer suggestions if you gave more info about your system etc. Suggesting you do ping tests could help, for example. Also, try doing a search of previous postings using search terms such as you've used in your heading.

12-02-2002, 11:49 PM
Hi,

A few possible causes are:

Do you have two phone lines?

Has it been raining heavily recently in your area, or adjacently to your area?

Have there been any recent changes to telecomunications systems in your area...? New subdivision, even a new house being connected can take away a proportion of your loop current meaning that the signal is weaker.

Heavy rain can wet cabling upsetting it's magnetic properties and causing the signal to spread over between two wires... Having two phone lines increases this effect.

Do you live a long way from the local exchange? Are you in a rural area?

If that's the case, something a long way away (like a subdivision) could have had an impact...

Hope that helps:

Erin

15-02-2002, 07:30 PM
This problem has recently happened to a number of people i know, xtra helpdesk recommended to them a driver upgrade as they had recently upgraded their network (if you believe this is possible!!) and were no longer supporting some drivers which resulted in their modems switching back to 24k as the fastest compatable mode. this fix worked and they were back to 56k in no time at all